Oleksandr Usyk has once again demonstrated that true greatness extends far beyond championship belts and victories inside the boxing ring. Ahead of Anthony Joshua’s highly anticipated return against Albanian heavyweight Kristian Prenga in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, the undisputed heavyweight champion was seen openly praying for the safety and success of his former rival—an emotional moment that has been widely praised by boxing fans around the world.
The gesture carried even greater significance considering the history between the two heavyweight stars. Usyk defeated Joshua in two blockbuster world title fights in 2021 and 2022 to claim and successfully defend the WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO heavyweight championships. While those encounters were fiercely contested, the Ukrainian has consistently spoken with respect about Joshua, and their relationship has evolved into one built on mutual admiration.
A devout Christian, Usyk has never hidden the importance of his faith. His decision to pray publicly for Joshua before the fight reflected the values he has long embraced throughout his career. Rather than dwelling on past rivalries, the Ukrainian champion chose to wish his former opponent well, offering a powerful reminder that respect and sportsmanship can exist alongside elite competition.
Joshua rewarded that support by producing one of the most dramatic victories of his career. However, the former two-time heavyweight world champion had to overcome an unexpected crisis almost immediately after the opening bell.
Facing Kristian Prenga, Joshua was stunned when the Albanian challenger knocked him down twice in a chaotic first round, putting the British star under immense pressure and threatening to derail his long-awaited comeback. Despite the shocking start, Joshua refused to panic. He regrouped, tightened his defence and patiently waited for his opportunity before delivering a devastating second-round knockout that secured victory and kept his future plans firmly on track.
Reflecting on the dramatic contest during an interview with iFL TV, Joshua admitted the opening round was far from what he had anticipated.
"Honestly, it's not what you expect," Joshua said.
He explained that he quickly realised Prenga's strategy was to end the fight as early as possible rather than engage in a tactical twelve-round contest.
"I realised that these guys come out swinging hard right from the start. They aren't coming to go twelve rounds and see if they can outpoint me; they're coming to knock me out."
Joshua said the experience prompted an immediate change in mindset.
"In the second round, I told myself, 'I can do the same thing. Why wait twelve rounds to take them out?' I've got power in my hands, so I might as well use it to land shots. I learned a lot in that moment."
Perhaps the most revealing part of Joshua's assessment was his reaction after being knocked down. Instead of allowing frustration or fear to take over, the Olympic gold medallist remained composed and trusted his experience.
"When I went down, I thought, 'Okay, no problem. I'm going to take him out. I'll stay focused. I'll stay in control.' I didn't expect it to happen in the first round, but it did. So I told myself, 'Stay focused. Take him out. It might take four or five rounds, but my moment will come.' That was all I was thinking about. My moment will come. And it happened in the second round."
Joshua's resilience ultimately transformed what could have become one of the biggest upsets in heavyweight boxing into a memorable comeback victory. The dramatic win has also kept alive expectations of a long-awaited showdown with fellow British heavyweight Tyson Fury later this year, with promoters remaining optimistic about staging one of boxing's biggest-ever domestic clashes.
Beyond the thrilling knockout, however, one image may endure longer than the fight itself: Oleksandr Usyk quietly praying for Anthony Joshua before the opening bell. In a sport built on fierce rivalries, their relationship continues to demonstrate that respect, faith and brotherhood can coexist with intense competition. It is a reminder that while champions are remembered for their victories, they are equally defined by the character they display outside the ring.
0 Comments