Captain Smit Machchhar, the Indian pilot who was seriously injured during a dramatic mid-air confrontation aboard a Flydubai flight, has revealed that the cockpit door was not forced open from outside. Instead, he managed to open and unlock it from inside the cockpit despite being badly injured, allowing passengers and other crew members to intervene.
Machchhar made the revelation while speaking with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a video call from a hospital in the United Arab Emirates, where he is recovering from injuries sustained during the incident.
According to reports, Machchhar was the captain of Flydubai Flight FZ1073, travelling from Dubai to Tel Aviv, when he was attacked by his co-pilot. The aircraft subsequently experienced a rapid descent, creating an extremely dangerous situation for everyone on board.
Despite suffering multiple injuries, Machchhar remained conscious enough to understand what was happening to the aircraft. He said his extensive experience as a pilot helped him recognise the seriousness of the situation even while he was lying injured on the cockpit floor.
Speaking to Prime Minister Modi, Machchhar explained that he realised he had to act because there was no one else inside the cockpit who could immediately resolve the situation.
> “I feel an immense sense of pride. At that moment, I was fighting for my life, but I realized that if I didn't get up and act – after being seriously injured and lying on the floor – no one else would.”
He said his 17 years of flying experience and 11 years as a captain gave him the awareness to understand what was happening to the aircraft even under extreme circumstances.
> “I've been flying planes for 17 years and have been a captain for the last 11 years, and I know what's happening on the plane, even with my eyes closed.”
Machchhar said that, despite his injuries, he realised that opening the cockpit door could give the passengers and other crew members an opportunity to intervene.
> “I knew that only one more push was needed to open the door. Despite my injuries, I opened it, and the rest of the crew came in and did their part.”
The importance of his action was underscored by aviation reports explaining that modern cockpit doors are heavily reinforced and designed to prevent unauthorised access from the passenger cabin. In this particular incident, however, the threat was reportedly already inside the cockpit, making the captain's ability to release the door from within crucial.
Reports say passengers subsequently entered the cockpit and helped overpower the attacking co-pilot. Two off-duty Flydubai pilots who were travelling as passengers also became involved and eventually helped take control of the aircraft before it made an emergency landing in Tabuk, Saudi Arabia.
Machchhar's account highlights the extraordinary circumstances in which the decision was made. He was dealing with serious injuries while simultaneously trying to prevent the aircraft from becoming uncontrollable.
Explaining what motivated him, he told Modi:
> “I knew I couldn't let the passengers die.”
The incident has attracted international attention, with aviation officials, political leaders and members of the public praising the captain's actions. However, authorities are continuing to investigate the precise circumstances surrounding the confrontation and the actions of the co-pilot.
For Machchhar, however, the decision appears to have been straightforward: despite fighting for his own survival, he knew that the lives of everyone aboard the aircraft depended on someone taking action.
His recovery continues as investigations into the extraordinary mid-air incident proceed.
0 Comments